whatisakelly

Lauren Miller

The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set - Rick Riordan

My Rating: 3.0

Ever since The Mark of Athena came out, it was all I've read about in the book blogging community and heard about in Barnes and Noble. "Do you have The Mark of Athena in stock?" I overhead a lady ask a Barnes and Noble salesman, in which he immediately ran to another salesman and demanded to know where their giant order of The Mark of Athena had gone. I had never read anything by Rick Riordan before and when I found out the first book in the series was The Lightning Thief, I decided to give the book a try and see what the hype was all about.

I liked Percy. He managed to get several chuckles out of me while I was reading and that's no easy feat. However, I didn't really care about his friends, Grover and Annabeth. If they both died, I would just shrug and be like "oh well." That being said, I felt like I had no deep connection with any of the characters in The Lightning Thief, including Percy. Maybe this book was meant to be a light fun read (since it is a children's book after all), but I expected more, especially with all the hype surrounding the book.

The pacing was kind of slow in The Lightning Thief. The action and fighting scenes, if you can call some of them fighting scenes, could be better written with more action. The transition scenes in The Lightning Thief bored me, the only scene that really caught my attention was the casino scene since I figured out something suspicious was going on, but I didn't know what. All the other scenes were pretty predictable with me thinking, "No, Percy, can't you see something is weird?" and "Oh my goodness, just do it already!" The worst part was that I can't exactly blame Percy for his actions because he's a sixth grader.

I figured out the identity of the friend that would later betray Percy a little bit after the prophecy was revealed. It was pretty simple to figure out who it would be and when I found out I was right, I was kind of disappointed since I honestly was expecting more.

Overall, I expected more from The Lightning Thief, especially with all the hype surrounding the book. However, I decided that I am going to read the next book in the series, Sea of Monsters. I just don't know when, but definitely not any time soon. Now off to watch The Lightning Thief movie!

ohdamnbooks: the lightning thief